Why Choose Me
My role as a therapist is to say… “What about you?”
Welcome, I would like to reassure you that here, you are put first. Whatever your difficulties, you can be assured of a warm welcome and a safe, caring environment to work together and explore them.
"Put simply, therapy works well with someone you feel comfortable with"
I am a long, established registered therapist BACP (British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy) As a transactional analyst, psychotherapist and counsellor, I take what I do very seriously. With 20 years experience, I am fully trained, insured and qualified to treat a range of emotional and behavioural difficulties with individuals, couples and students of all orientations.
An important part of training to become the therapist I am, is that I also spent many hours in therapy myself. This helps me to understand some of the difficulties you may have in coming to counselling and psychotherapy. Over the following years I made the transition from client to therapist, now, 20 years on, as a practitioner, I have learned to combine my personal and clinical experience in my work to give you the best experience of therapy and get you well.
It is a widely known truth that the single most important factor in successful outcomes of therapy is the relationship between therapist and client.
"From my own experience, therapy is a relationship of trust and respect. To help you to feel better, to know more about yourself, find real inner peace, happiness, and understand how to get more of it"
On our first meeting I will carry out a full clinical assessment where I take a detailed history and medical information, and listen to you to ensure the best course of action thats right for you.
- Approach – Everyone is unique and there is no one-size-fits-all approach to therapy. I believe everyone is OK, working together in a transparent and equal way and everyone is entitled to live life fully, with respect around the profound value of self-esteem, from the inside out.
- Convenient – I am easy to get to and from, walking distance from the train station, trams and buses. If travelling by car there is also on-street car parking.
- Discreet – I have a discreet practice located in the heart of Nottingham, close to and between Nottingham Castle or Nottingham Playhouse.
- Diverse working background – As a therapist and mentor, I have worked in different settings, from GP’s surgeries and universities and my background is in Teaching, Sales, Management and Design. I have a good understanding of working in these environments.
- Experience of 20 years – I have a broad portfolio of experience, working therapeutically with many different people in different settings; NHS, County Council, Education. Experience makes a difference, less on your time, less sessions, less on your costs.
- Everyone has worth, can think, and make decisions about themselves.
- Flexible – I understand how hard it can be to set aside time to focus on yourself. Especially in the professions that require shift work, for example NHS. Once established, I can be flexible to suit your changing availability and still meet your weekly needs.
- Non-judgemental – I will not judge you.
- Objective – The difference between talking to a therapist and talking to your best friend, mum, dad or partners is that I am objective, I am uninvolved, an experienced trained observer of the material you bring to me. My job is to help someone join the dots in your life and it is important that I remain objective.
- Safe – It is a priority for me to help you to feel safe and at home when you embark on this journey of change, and this is exactly what you find here at Private Counselling Nottingham….warmth makes all the difference.
- You -You will be seen and heard and everything that you do will be about you.
Take a positive step today and contact – we can work together from there.
I draw professionally on a blend of therapeutic models within the Transactional Analysis and Person-Centred frameworks, and Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT) all of which are designed to help you explore your thoughts and behaviours, and emotions.
I am bound by and adhere to the BACP’s Ethical Framework and code of ethics and practice. I work with regular supervision and I’m committed to my ongoing Continual Professional Development (CPD) that helps to inform the quality of my work.